Project and funding updates
Karen Kightley (Prayer Co-ordinator, pictured) hosts a quartely Lake Mac Prayer event.
If you like to join us in prayer please contact Damien in the CRU office on 0423 268 658 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Thank God that construction progress has not been hampered by the COVID-19 health crisis. Praise Him that the new Lake Mac is on track to be completed by July 2020.
- Thank God for Brett Taylor, who started as the Lake Mac site director in March. Praise God that the whole Lake Mac site team have been rallying to make use of the vacant site to complete maintenance and repairs on the existing campsite.
- Thank God for the many shipments of furniture that have already arrived for the new site. Pray that there will be no supply chain issues for the remaining furniture. Pray especially for the large delivery of bunk beds in June, that there would be enough hands on deck to put these together and for a smooth and safe process.
- Pray for the many moving pieces as we seek to complete this project. Pray for the builders as they work on the building finishes, landscaping, certification and defects rectification. Pray that God would open their hearts towards him and provide opportunities to be sharing the gospel with them.
- Pray for our engagement with Lake Mac Council as we work through the process to obtain the occupation certificate. Pray this building project will be finished well for God’s glory.
- Pray for funding to enable the build of the ‘Undercroft’ – a large meeting room, below the dining hall, which is vital for allowing groups of 200+ campers to meet and worship together.
- Pray that God’s healing hand would be upon our nation and world so that the new Lake Mac campsite can be filled to capacity with young people hearing the lifesaving grace of the Gospel as soon as possible!
- Praise God that construction has been completed on the new 13m climbing tower and the bottom level of the Boat Shed. The new climbing tower will be a significant draw card for the renewed Lake Mac and will allow thousands of young people each year to build relationships and enjoy a fun and exhilarating activity. The completion of the bottom level of the Boat Shed has allowed boats in temporary storage locations to move back into their permanent facility.
- Praise Him for the significant construction progress that has been made on the other campsite buildings. Two cabins are nearing completion, significant structural work has been completed on a further cabin and the sub-structural work on the remaining two cabins has commenced. The structural work for the dining hall is also nearing completion.
- Praise God that the redeveloped Lake Mac is already generating new gospel opportunities. Ten additional CRU® Educational Camps have been booked for schools in Term 1, 2021 at Lake Mac. Four large church groups are looking to secure bookings in September/October 2019 and seven additional CRU® Holiday Camps will be conducted at the renewed site in winter and spring 2020. Praise Him for the generosity of supporters like you who are paving the way for many more campers to hear the life-saving message of the gospel on these and many other new camps at Lake Mac.
- Please continue to pray for the construction process for this complex project. Pray that God will help the builders, architects and various subcontractors to work well together so that construction of Stage One remains on track and will be completed for winter 2020 CRU Holiday Camps.
- Pray for the workers at the building site as they interact with CRU staff. Pray that they may see and hear the gospel lived out. Pray that we can continue to work well with the project team and that, as issues arise, we are able to have productive discussions with the builders and architects to resolve any issues quickly.
- Ask God for more site bookings and gospel opportunities to come to fruition because of the redevelopment.
Look forward to quarterly updates.
- Praise God that we have been successful in finding a builder for the project and we expect to start work this month. Praise Him also that we have secured the required bridging finance which is needed as most donations are pledged over up to 5 years.
- Praise God that nearly $18m of the $19m in donations needed from CRU supporters and the wider community have been pledged so far, and that we have been awarded a $5m grant from the Federal Government! We stand in awe of our amazing God given that we only had $7.3m pledged at this time last year.
- Praise God for the continued co-operation of Lake Macquarie City Council. They have been accommodating about DA condition timings and when these need to be met.
- We are waiting on one more item to be checked off by Lake Macquarie City Council so that we can obtain our Construction Certificate. Pray that the remaining item is approved so that construction can commence.
- Pray for our Fundraising efforts as we seek to raise the $1m needed to close the gap to completely fund Stage 1. Pray for creativity for the fundraising team and that God will continue to lead His people to sow into the vision by giving sacrificially, so that the new Lake Mac can reach an extra 1 million young people for Christ.
- Pray for upcoming Summit School Camps and CRU Camps which will be held at Lake Mac this year. Pray that God will use these camps to help many young people come to know Him and experience the hope of the gospel through the talks, discussion groups and interactions with Christian leaders.
- Please pray for Allan Nicholls as he takes on the role of Lake Mac Site Manager during this next construction phase. Pray that he and the team will make wise decisions about how to manage the site so that groups have good camp experiences while construction occurs.
- Thank God for the tremendous generosity shown by Crusader supporters to date. We are so grateful that $17m of the $19m needed to begin the redevelopment has now been pledged.
- Praise God for answering our prayers and providing a $5m grant from the Federal Government under the Building Better Regions Fund. This grant will be used to reduce the bridging finance required because pledges are spread over 5 years. Praise God that this grant means we now have the confidence to proceed to tender for Stage 1 of the redevelopment.
- Thank God that the building tender documents were distributed to various construction firms in August. Thank God for Matt Seidl (Director of Properties) and Ian Thompson (Project Manager) who have been working tirelessly to finalise this documentation.
- Pray that those in the CRU® Community who have not yet seen the plans and had a chance to contribute might be free to attend the dessert night event at Roseville College on November 3rd. Pray God would inspire many in the wider CRU Community to donate the $2m still needed to fund construction so that Lake Mac can be ready in 2020 to reach thousands more young people with the hope of the Gospel.
- Pray that a number of grant applications currently lodged with private foundations and the Federal and State Governments would be successful. Pray that the assessors will understand the enormous spiritual, social and economic benefits that this project will generate.
- Pray for good administration and communication with the Federal Government as we seek to finalise the Grant Agreement documentation for the $5m grant. Pray that there will not be delays arising from recent leadership changes.
- Pray for the construction firms who are reviewing our tender documentation. Pray that they will be able to submit proposals that deliver a quality project in a timely and cost-effective manner to maximise ministry outcomes.
- Praise God that over 72% of the $19m funding target has now been pledged!
- Praise God for the Vincent Fairfax Family Foundation and one other supporter who have given match gift donations which total $4 million. Pray that these match funds will be a strong motivator for those who haven’t given yet to prayerfully consider a sacrificial donation.
- Praise God for the tremendous community support for this project from Federal and State MPs, NSW Family and Community Services, local businesses, local and regional schools and various not-for-profit organisations.
- Thank God that we have now been granted an Aboriginal Heritage Impact Permit for the construction phase of the project.
- $19m is needed before the tender process can begin. Please pray that God will raise up supporters to meet the remaining 28% shortfall by June 30 this year so that construction can commence in time for the first phase of Lake Mac to be ready for school camps in Feb 2020.
- Pray for the people on the Independent Assessment Committees for three grant applications that have been lodged with the Federal and State governments. Pray that they will assess our applications favourably.
- Please pray for the Project Design team as they review and refine design documents in preparation for the tender process. Please ask God for wisdom as the team works through essential design details and as they make decisions which seek to balance cost pressures and ministry needs.
- Pray for the planning of the ‘Public Phase’ of the fundraising campaign, when the wider Crusader community will be asked to contribute. In particular, please pray for the planning of a major public launch event in November 2018 which seeks to share about the incredible Kingdom building opportunity a redeveloped Lake Mac presents
- Thank God that with the approval of the DA we now have the official green light to transform Lake Mac and prepare it for fruitful ministry amongst many generations to come!
- Praise God for continuing to move His people towards generosity as they sow into releasing the Kingdom potential at Lake Mac. Praise Him that over 40% of the required funding for Stage 1 of the redevelopment have now been pledged.
- The project design team are working on the tender documentation for Stage 1 of the redevelopment. This will allow us to go out to tender as soon as the necessary funding is secured.
- Please pray for CRU® leadership as they look to plan for a ramp up in staffing and resources to manage and operate the expanded site. Please ask God to guide us as we consider how to manage new and existing bookings, and as we look at recruitment and training needs to service the new campsite.
- Pray for the numerous supporters’ information events being planned in 2018. Pray that God will move the heart of many supporters to come to these events and catch His vision for the new Lake Mac. Pray that these events will encourage people to give sacrificially to help release the tremendous Kingdom Potential of the campsite.
- Please pray for the Commonwealth Government Grant application that was lodged for this project in December 2017 and will be announced mid-2018. Pray that our application would be favourably examined, that we would be able to connect with the key decision makers and secure the funding amount needed.
- Recent meetings with Lake Macquarie City Council (LMCC) have gone well which has meant that there has been significant progress with the Development Application. All referral responses from other consenting authorities have been received by LMCC and they are now able to prepare their briefing for the State Regional Planning Panel with a recommendation that the Development Application be approved.
- The project design team are diligently working to finalise all of the documentation for Stage 1 buildings by the end of the year.
- Praise God for stirring the hearts of His people to fund the vision of a new Lake Mac. Praise Him for already providing over 30% of the required funding for Stage 1 of the redevelopment.
- Pray that LMCC’s briefing session with the State Regional Planning Panel goes smoothly in preparation for a positive outcome for our Development Application from the State Regional Planning Panel early next year.
- Continue to pray for the fundraising effort. Pray that supporters will catch the vision and give generously so that five times as many campers each year have the opportunity to encounter Christ.
- Thank God for raising up young people like Campbell (aged 16) who is bringing 5 of his school friends, most of whom do not regularly go to a church or youth group, to a sailing camp at Lake Mac this summer so that they will hear about Jesus and meet inspiring Christian leaders.
Look forward to quarterly updates.
DA approval has been delayed because Lake Macquarie City Council (LMCC) required further information for which a detailed response was submitted in mid-August. An assessment from LMCC will follow which then needs to be approved by the State Regional Planning Panel in order to gain DA approval before the end of the year.
Ian Thompson from the Midson Group has been appointed as the Project Manager to assist in further progressing the redevelopment. Detailed architectural designs for Stage One of the redevelopment are progressing well and will continue for the next few months.
- Praise God for those who have already pledged their financial support
- Thank God that the investigations of the Aboriginal Heritage surveys conducted at Lake Mac have resulted in no major restrictions to our plans for the site.
- Praise God for the many kids, like Oriana, who found faith at Lake Mac this year. She says “I didn’t believe in God before I came on this camp. I had heard about him…(but) I didn’t know what to believe. And now I feel like it is true and I want to learn more about Jesus.” Praise God for His work in Oriana’s life and all the children past, present and future finding faith at Lake Mac. Watch Oriana’s inspiring story here: https://youtu.be/vlIPZhO26XQ
- Pray that God would speed the delivery of the DA
- Pray that God would stir people to be generous in their giving so that the funds needed can be raised.
We praise God that 100 Acres of land was able to be purchased adjacent to the current campsite. This has given us scope to increase bed capacity on the existing site, as well as run new bivouac programs.
The Development Application (DA) for an expanded 308 bed, multi-user, Lake Mac campsite was lodged with Lake Macquarie City Council last December and is progressing well.
- Pray for the architects who are drawing up detailed plans for each building in Stage 1 of the redevelopment: New cabins sleeping 130 people; new dining hall and kitchen; new boatshed and meeting rooms.
- Pray that Lake Macquarie Council will pass the DA.
- Praise God that David Braga (pictured) has volunteered to lead the fundraising effort as Campaign Director. Pray for God’s protection and blessing over him and all the CRU staff working on the project.